Last Updated: Aug 10, 2020
On February 25, 1936, a group of non-operating employees of the local railroad began a credit union named Panhandle & Santa Fe General Office Employees Federal Credit Union. The charter number was 1106. Five years later, on March 24, 1941, charter number 4380 was granted to Santa Fe Terminal Employees Amarillo Federal Credit Union. December 31, 1954, the Bureau of Federal Credit Unions established charter number 9971 to Panhandle & Santa Fe Operating Employees Federal Credit Union.
As all three federally chartered credit unions shared the common bond of Atchison, Topeka, and The Santa Fe Railroad Employees, a proposed merger was set in motion on August 6, 1976. NCUA approved the merger September 17, 1976 and the Amarillo Santa Fe Federal Credit Union began operations under charter number 9971 with just over $2.2 million. The field of membership was limited to employees of Panhandle and Santa Fe Railway Company, Santa Fe Trail Transportation Company, Oil Development Company of Texas, and Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company. The membership also included members’ immediate family and employees of this credit union.
From the period of 1983 through 1986, the credit union began expanding its membership throughout the Amarillo area. This included seven new select employee groups, none of which were directly related to railroad operations. Therefore, on February 21, 1986 NCUA granted an Amendment of Charters and Bylaws officially changing the name of the credit union to Santa Fe Federal Credit Union. At that time assets were just under $35 million. Over the next twenty six years, Santa Fe FCU added over 200 SEG’s.
As AT&SF Railway began to relocate its employees to Albuquerque, New Mexico, the credit union began to seek means of servicing their membership. The credit union opened its first branch office at 7301-D Jefferson St NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico on January 2, 1989. In May 1993, Santa Fe FCU officially broke ground for a new branch office. They opened for business in the new, modern facility on December 17, 1993 located at 7101 Jefferson Street NE, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
In 1991, Pueblo Santa Fe Employees FCU merged with Santa Fe FCU. This merger added approximately $1.1 million in assets, as well as a branch office located at 501 N Main Street, Pueblo, Colorado. On June 30, 1991, Santa Fe FCU successfully bid on and purchased San Isabel FCU. This was an involuntary liquidation by NCUA. This added an additional $5 million in assets. The branch was officially closed October 1992 due to declining loan demand, shrinking income stream, and increasing expenses. St. Laurence Parish FCU merged with Santa Fe FCU on November 30, 1993 adding approximately $600,000 to asset size. Finally, on October 1, 2000 NWT/NM Federal Credit Union merged with Santa Fe FCU. NWT/NM Federal Credit Union’s approximate assets were $415,000.00.
From 1999-2011, CEO Alan Pohlmeier led Santa Fe FCU. Alan is known for his intelligent investing and ability to operate at extremely low costs. During his tenure, Alan led the credit union to its largest growth spurt from approximately $43 million to over $100 million with over 13% capital. September 30, 2011 Alan Pohlmeier retired from Santa Fe FCU after 33 years of service. October 3, 2011 Steven Adee took over as CEO